DNS Registrars on the cheap
Dan Egli
2014-09-10 12:08:03 UTC
Does anyone have a recommendation for a CHEAP registrar for domain names?
I'm looking to register a .name domain - and maybe a .org - in the next few
months. I know a lot of companies will let me register a domain with them,
but of them, the only one I've dealt with that will let me host the entire
site myself (including DNS and such) is Network Solutions, and they're
expensive. I can use them if I must, but I prefer to go with someone who is
cheaper if possible.

The company I finally use must let me register a name and specify my own
name servers as well as allowing me to host the site(s) on my own server.
There must be no minimum time to buy (beyond one year, of course, which is
fine), and renewals must be easy to accomplish for as long as I wish to
maintain the domain.

I appreciate any suggestions.
--- Dan

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Brian J. Rogers
*/
Eric Olsen
2014-09-10 14:04:44 UTC
Post by Dan Egli
Does anyone have a recommendation for a CHEAP registrar for domain names?
... that will let me host the entire site myself (including DNS and such)
I used to use 1and1, but then they hiked up the prices so I happily looked
elsewhere. The cheapest I found was namecheap.com, and I've had no problem
with them so-far. They have their own FreeDNS, but allow you to specify
name servers if you'd like to use your own. I don't consider their web
interface to be intuitive, but if you're diligent or have better intuition
than I you should be able to find your way around.

They do offer year-by-year renewal, with the option to auto-renew or not (I
opt not to), and I get emailed a couple weeks before the domains expire.
In-fact, I didn't notice much of a discount to selecting a multiple-year
offering.

I hope you don't mind, but I'll plug my affiliate link, in case you do
decide to use namecheap I'll get a small discount to my next renewal.
http://www.namecheap.com/?aff=66153

-Eric

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Brian J. Rogers
2014-09-10 14:11:10 UTC
If you are just looking for domain registration and DNS, I've tried
Namecheap (they SAY they are working on an improved UI) and they were good.
I switched to Name.com mostly because I wanted a better interface. They use
some Norton app for two-factor auth, which I'm unsure about because of how
I feel about Norton as an anti-virus application. But they've been good to
me. $11 for a .name domain and ~$7 for a .org
*/
Andy Bradford
2014-09-10 14:39:14 UTC
The cheapest I found was namecheap.com, and I've had no problem with
them so-far. They have their own FreeDNS, but allow you to specify
name servers if you'd like to use your own.
Do they allow you to specify in-bailiwick NS records?

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 40000000541062b5

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Nicholas Leippe
2014-09-10 16:14:26 UTC
I've used cp.us2.net for years. I host my own DNS servers and renew yearly
(although you can go longer).
It used to be called stargateinc.com I think their sales page is resell.biz
.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Charles Curley
2014-09-10 14:36:55 UTC
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 05:08:03 -0700
Post by Dan Egli
Does anyone have a recommendation for a CHEAP registrar for domain names?
Do you want cheap, or do you want inexpensive?

For fairly inexpensive and reasonably user friendly UI, try
http://simpleurl.com/.
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Jonathan Duncan
2014-09-10 22:39:29 UTC
Post by Dan Egli
Does anyone have a recommendation for a CHEAP registrar for domain names?
I'm looking to register a .name domain - and maybe a .org - in the next few
months. I know a lot of companies will let me register a domain with them,
but of them, the only one I've dealt with that will let me host the entire
site myself (including DNS and such) is Network Solutions, and they're
expensive. I can use them if I must, but I prefer to go with someone who is
cheaper if possible.
The company I finally use must let me register a name and specify my own
name servers as well as allowing me to host the site(s) on my own server.
There must be no minimum time to buy (beyond one year, of course, which is
fine), and renewals must be easy to accomplish for as long as I wish to
maintain the domain.
Route53 (http://aws.amazon.com/route53/) now does registration in addition
to the DNS that they have had for a while. Rates are comparable to others.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Dan Egli
2014-09-11 12:49:37 UTC
Post by Brian J. Rogers
Are you looking for a hosting package with domain registration and DNS or
just domain registration and DNS?
Actually, neither. I don't want the DNS at all. _I_ want to run the DNS. I
just want to get my domains registered. So if my ip range is is
209.66.77.64-71 for example, and I have name servers at .66 and .67, then I
want one of THEM queried when someone tries to lookup www.<mydomain>.name.
When they try to send email messages to me@<mydomain>.name it asks my name
servers who the MX servers are. The only name work I want the registrar
doing is registering my name servers with the gtld servers. I will do all
the hosting, whether it's DNS, email, web, or anything else.

That was kind of my point. I can think of a few really inexpensive places
to register as long as I am hosting the site on their servers. But that's
exactly what I DON'T want. I want them to ONLY do the one thing I can't,
which is change the config on the gtld servers so that they know that
<mydomain>.name is serviced by (in the above example) 209.66.77.66 and
209.66.77.67. Once gtld gets queried, it should point to my name servers.
They will, in turn, point to my own servers for all other tasks. I'll take
3rd party DNS if it's the only way possible, but if at all possible, I want
to to the DNS myself. The registrar should register my domain and that's it.

--- Dan

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Brian J. Rogers
2014-09-11 14:01:08 UTC
For just registering the domain name then being able to point your DNS to
your servers, both namecheap and name.com can do that. I can't remember
namecheap's pricing on .name domains, but I assume it's nearly identical to
name.com (which I listed those prices above).
*/
Lonnie Olson
2014-09-11 16:32:02 UTC
Post by Dan Egli
Actually, neither. I don't want the DNS at all.
That isn't a problem, most, possibly all, registrars will register
your domain using your own nameservers.
In terms of price, most are pretty close in price.

I have used Godaddy, Google Domains, namecheap.com, hover.com, and XMission.

GoDaddy is the worst, they try to sell you upgrades (DNS, hosting,
etc) on almost every interaction with them. You need to be very
careful where you click and every form you fill to ensure you don't
get snagged into an upgrade.

Google Domains is in beta, and I can't hand out invites.

Namecheap isn't really pretty, but it's very functional and works well.

Hover is much prettier and works well for a few domains. If you have
more than 10 or so their multi domain handling is spotty at best.

XMission is not the cheapest but hey it's XM. Though their interface
sucks when handling many domains. Above 20-25 domains it becomes very
painful. For just a few domains it's not bad at all.

I've used Network Solutions in the past, but that was in the dark ages
where you had to send form letter emails back and forth to get changes
made. I'm sure it has changed a lot since then.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Jacob Albretsen
2014-09-11 20:27:30 UTC
Post by Lonnie Olson
XMission is not the cheapest but hey it's XM. Though their interface
sucks when handling many domains. Above 20-25 domains it becomes very
painful. For just a few domains it's not bad at all.
I have a couple of domains sitting on Xmission, and the DNS server is sitting
under my desk in the corner of my office. The sites are hosted elsewhere.
Works just fine.

I've often found that the cheapest isn't the best, and the best isn't always
the most expensive. The best is the best. When it comes to hosting a
WordPress site for work, I've learned that the hard way.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Brian J. Rogers
*/
Jacob Albretsen
2014-09-11 21:03:01 UTC
Post by Brian J. Rogers
Does Xmission provide any form of two-factor authentication? That's always
been something high on my priority list of features.
Not that I've seen. Maybe eightyeight can answer that.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Aaron Toponce
2014-09-11 21:08:51 UTC
Post by Brian J. Rogers
Does Xmission provide any form of two-factor authentication? That's always
been something high on my priority list of features.
Not currently. We're working on it. There are some higher priority ticket items
that we need to get out of the way first. It's definitely on the radar though.
--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o
o o o . o . . o o o o . o o o
Andy Bradford
2014-09-12 01:12:24 UTC
XMission is not the cheapest but hey it's XM. Though their interface
sucks when handling many domains. Above 20-25 domains it becomes very
painful. For just a few domains it's not bad at all.
Is XMission a registrar?

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 400000005412489b

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Lonnie Olson
2014-09-12 15:11:42 UTC
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Andy Bradford
Post by Andy Bradford
Is XMission a registrar?
Yes.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
chabon
2014-09-12 16:19:42 UTC
If xmission.com is any indication, they appear to be a reseller of
OpenSRS/Tucows
Post by Lonnie Olson
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Andy Bradford
Post by Andy Bradford
Is XMission a registrar?
Yes.
/*