Linux Commands Info Graphic
Ed Felt
2014-09-09 16:03:11 UTC
Sorry I forget who shared it but someone shared an awesome Linux
performance graphic on Facebook. It showed several Linux OS commands and
the range of things they are for. Can whomever shared it please reshare or
send it to me? I would like to have it for a Linux Admin class I am
teaching.

Sincerely,

C. Ed Felt
edfelt-***@public.gmane.org
(801) 833-5274

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Matthew Walker
2014-09-09 16:11:29 UTC
Post by Ed Felt
Sorry I forget who shared it but someone shared an awesome Linux
performance graphic on Facebook. It showed several Linux OS commands and
the range of things they are for. Can whomever shared it please reshare or
send it to me? I would like to have it for a Linux Admin class I am
teaching.
I think you mean this one:

http://www.techtipsforsmartchicks.com/linux-performance-monitoring-cheat-sheet/
--
Matthew Walker HAM Call Sign: N7TOX

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Ed Felt
2014-09-09 16:12:31 UTC
Awesome. That's it Matthew. Thanks!

Sincerely,

C. Ed Felt
edfelt-***@public.gmane.org
(801) 833-5274
*/
Matthew Walker
2014-09-09 16:12:49 UTC
Post by Matthew Walker
Post by Ed Felt
Sorry I forget who shared it but someone shared an awesome Linux
performance graphic on Facebook. It showed several Linux OS commands and
the range of things they are for. Can whomever shared it please reshare or
send it to me? I would like to have it for a Linux Admin class I am
teaching.
http://www.techtipsforsmartchicks.com/linux-performance-monitoring-cheat-sheet/
Found the original source:

http://brendangregg.com/linuxperf.html

*/
Jonathan Duncan
2014-09-09 20:07:03 UTC
Post by Ed Felt
send it to me? I would like to have it for a Linux Admin class I am
teaching.
http://www.techtipsforsmartchicks.com/linux-performance-monitoring-cheat-sheet/
http://brendangregg.com/linuxperf.html
Awesome! Tweeting it...

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Charles Curley
2014-09-09 20:15:56 UTC
On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 10:03:11 -0600
Post by Ed Felt
I would like to have it for a Linux Admin class I am
teaching.
Write this on the board, and then tell them several times not to
actually do it. Then have them look up the man page to see what it does.

rm -rf /

Then tell them again to not do it. Almost every class someone types it
in. Fortunately I've never actually had someone execute it.
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Matthew Walker
2014-09-09 20:20:01 UTC
Post by Charles Curley
On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 10:03:11 -0600
Post by Ed Felt
I would like to have it for a Linux Admin class I am
teaching.
Write this on the board, and then tell them several times not to
actually do it. Then have them look up the man page to see what it does.
rm -rf /
Then tell them again to not do it. Almost every class someone types it
in. Fortunately I've never actually had someone execute it.
These days, rm actually prevents that without an extra switch:

***@armitage ~ $ rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

*/
Jonathan Duncan
2014-09-11 19:32:25 UTC
On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Charles Curley <
Post by Charles Curley
On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 10:03:11 -0600
Post by Ed Felt
I would like to have it for a Linux Admin class I am
teaching.
Write this on the board, and then tell them several times not to
actually do it. Then have them look up the man page to see what it does.
rm -rf /
Then tell them again to not do it. Almost every class someone types it
in. Fortunately I've never actually had someone execute it.
I think every linux guru should do it at least once. Fortunately there are
plentiful virtual environment in which this can be done without fear of
reprisal.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Charles Curley
2014-09-11 22:01:55 UTC
On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 13:32:25 -0600
Post by Jonathan Duncan
I think every linux guru should do it at least once. Fortunately
there are plentiful virtual environment in which this can be done
without fear of reprisal.
Do it on your own machine. :-)

*/
Ed Felt
2014-09-11 22:06:33 UTC
I know someone who actually did this in PROD once, on a live website.
Luckily, there were backups.

Sincerely,

C. Ed Felt
edfelt-***@public.gmane.org
(801) 833-5274

Post by Charles Curley
rm -rf /

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Jonathan Duncan
2014-09-11 22:34:56 UTC
Post by Jonathan Duncan
I think every linux guru should do it at least once. Fortunately
there are plentiful virtual environment in which this can be done
without fear of reprisal.
Do it on your own machine. :-)
I have... in a vagrant :)
Post by Charles Curley
I know someone who actually did this in PROD once, on a live website.
Luckily, there were backups.
I bet there were some spankings for that one.

/*
Don't fear the penguin.
*/
Charles Curley
2014-09-11 22:47:25 UTC
On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:34:56 -0600
Post by Jonathan Duncan
Post by Ed Felt
I know someone who actually did this in PROD once, on a live
website. Luckily, there were backups.
I bet there were some spankings for that one.
I bet the people responsible for backup and restore learned a few
things....